School will start Monday, September 22
Welcome to South Delta Secondary School
You are hereHome ›
Updated Friday, September 19th
I am delighted to confirm that school will start on Monday, September 22nd.
Over the past two days, teachers and Boards of Education across the province voted in favour of ratifying an agreement reached between the BC Public School Employers' Association (BCPSEA) and BC Teachers’ Federation (BCTF). This means the strike is over and schools are now open.
Monday, September 22nd:
The first day of school will be Monday, September 22nd:
- The day will be dedicated to registration and class organization, following our normal opening day routines. Students will attend at the times outlined below:
Opening Day Schedule - Monday, September 22nd
9:30 - 10:30 Grades 8 & 9 Assembly, Block A
11:00 - 12:00 Grades 10 & 11 Assembly, Block A
12:30 - 1:30 Grade 12 Assembly, Block A
Students will report directly to the theatre at the time designated for their grade. Schedules will be handed out following the assembly and students will then attend their Block A class.
Tuesday, September 23rd:
- We will then proceed with school as it normally unfolds the rest of the school year. For the first day of classes, we will follow our Day 2 schedule (Blocks EFGH).
Bussing for Students with Special Needs
Monday: Bus service for elementary students, but not for secondary students.
Tuesday: Full service for both elementary and secondary students.
Parents will be called by drivers this weekend to confirm pick-up and drop-off times.
Parent Teacher Meetings, Early Dismissals and Collaboration Days
Within the calendar are a number of evenings or afternoons that are for either communication with parents or for staff collaboration purposes. These priorities will remain, but the days may need to change. Any changes will be communicated to you via our school website and through email. Of note, our first Collaboration Day will be on Wednesday, October 8th.
I want to take this opportunity to thank all of our students, parents and staff for your patience throughout the strike. It has been challenging for our entire school community. I am excited that school will now be starting and we can return to the exceptional teaching and learning we pride ourselves on.
Principal, South Delta Secondary
A reminder to all Grade 12 students to use this time to work on your Grad Transition Plan. The Grad Trans document can be found under the Students tab on this website. You should be able to complete your GT other than the required signatures. REMINDER: Part 1 and Part 2 must be completed by Sept. 29th or 30th in order to purchase your Grad Boat Cruise ticket.
Please see the August 29th letter from Delta School District Superintendent, Dianne Turner, on the status of school opening.
* Yearbooks are available at the office this week from 12pm - 3pm. Yearbooks will not be given to students with outstanding fees.The August Newsletter has been posted here.
More Information at our facilities website: New Link And here is the link to what the new classrooms will look like: New Link , and here are the two links for the superlab: New Link , and New Link .
SDSS currently enrolls 1322 students, 339 of whom are in the French Immersion Program. We provide a comprehensive secondary school program offering a wide range of curricular and extra-curricular opportunities for students. In addition to a full range of academic courses, we offer a variety of elective courses in:
• Fine Arts
• Applied Skills
• Challenge Math and English, Advance Placement English and Psychology, foreign language courses in French and Spanish
• STRIVE- a Grade 10 curricular organizational cohort group of Science/ Math/ English/ Physical Education focussed on in-place experiential learning
• Career Preparation and Work Experience including Kwantlen partnerships in Drafting and Design
• Student leadership opportunities through Link Crew Student leadership and clubs like Student Council, Interact, Me to We, Green Team, Gay-Straight Alliance, StandUp Club, to name a few
• a comprehensive Learning Resource Centre
• two Special Education programs (GradQuest and Evergreen)
• a Senior alternate Program
• an International Student Program currently enrolling 97 students from Germany, China, Korea, Spain, and Russia
• student choice programs in Hockey Academy, Soccer Academy, Film Production Academy, and Film Acting Academy
750 53rd Street
Delta B.C. V4M 3B7